Mister Sparky received a call earlier this week about a malfunctioning outlet with a smoke smell in a customer’s home. After removing the outlet, we quickly found the problem.
Good: When the customer renovated their bathroom, they installed a GFCI outlet near the sink.
Bad: They did not install it properly (notice the electrical tape?).
GFCI outlets are installed near water sources because they have an added function to cease electrical flow to prevent electrocution. Not only was this outlet installed improperly and could have very easily started a fire, someone could have been electrocuted.
Mister Sparky knows homeowners are getting more involved with remodeling their home and DIY projects. But electricity has to be taken seriously. We are always available to assist or answer any questions you have regarding your home and it’s electrical circuit. Please be careful!